The Louisiana Travelin’ Man will be back in Lake Charles for a return visit to their Mardi Gras Gumbo Cook-Off on Feb 25th. If you have $5 in your pocket, you can join The Louisiana Travelin’ Man at this wonderful event and sample approximately 60 different gumbos. Here is what will take place on Feb 25th:
• Cooking begins at 7:30 am and Judging begins at 11:30 am
• Tastings begin after the judging until 1:30
• Admission: $5 per person with children 5 & under free
• Where: Lake Charles Civic Center
900 Lakeshore Dr. Lake Charles, LA 70601
• More info about Lake Charles
There are three different Gumbo Categories:
• Chicken & Sausage Gumbo
• Wild Game (don’t ask, just taste)
There are two divisions:
• Amateur (nothing against the professionals, make sure you try the amateur gumbos as this may be the only time you will be able to taste these)
Come in your best Mardi Gras costume, bring your dancing shoes and enjoy the festivities.
Here is a little Lagniappe (something extra) for Feb 25th:
• The 51st Annual Krewe of Omega Parade will roll at 2 pm (approx.) followed by the Krewe of Barkus Parade at 3 pm (approx.) There will also be a Zydeco Dance from 3 pm – 5 pm with live music.
This is a not-to-miss day of great eating, great parades, great costumes, great music and lots of dancing (after all, you need to work off all that great gumbo you just tasted).
You will be able to recognize me from my photo.
Hope to see you there.